Why look at this aspect of yourself?
Variations in our genome (DNA) are what makes each of us unique and can have significant impacts on our life and health. Whilst one gene variant can make a difference, most chronic diseases result from the interplay between multiple common variants (SNPs) and environmental factors.
How do we check your genomics?
A sample of your cheek cells is collected using the DNA test kit from which DNA is subsequently extracted and analysed. It takes just 1 minute to collect the sample, place the swab in the test tube with the stabilising tablet, complete and sign the consent form and place everything in the return packaging provided. Results take approximately 4 weeks to be ready for review although this can be longer depending on mutual schedules of course.
Where to start?
I usually recommend the Nutrient Core Report as a starting point as it will help us understand the fundamental genetic interactions with diet and lifestyle and gives us an overview. It analyses how gene variants can affect food tolerance (and intolerance), appetite control and blood sugar balance, vitamin and mineral needs, detoxification (limited), and susceptibility to inflammation and infection.
It includes genes that have been shown to affect:
• food response – coeliac disease (gluten) and lactose intolerance
• caffeine – sensitivity and metabolism
• microbiome – diversity
• vitamin need – vitamins A, B9 (folate), B12 (cobalamin), C, D and K
• blood pressure – sodium-potassium balance & salt sensitive hypertension
• detoxification – glutathione
• metabolism – blood sugar control (insulin), appetite (leptin)
• inflammation – specific (infection response) and systemic
• circadian rhythm – early bird or night owl predisposition
This is a home test to collect a sample of cheek cells from which DNA is extracted and analysed.
The test is not impacted by medications, contraceptives, pregnancy, nutritional supplements, exercise or any other environmental factors.
Worldwide shipping available.